University Distinguished Professor
University Distinguished Professors represent the highest level of achievement for our faculty. They are recognized as pre-eminent authorities in their fields and their accomplishments are exemplified by outstanding teaching, mentoring, discovery and service. They demonstrate to the world the high quality of scholarship underway at Texas A&M University.
Current Guidelines Nomination Package TemplateCoversheet Nominator Request for External Letters
Selection Committee Makeup:
The University Distinguished Professor Award Selection Committee is composed of six University Distinguished Professors serving staggered two-year terms. The members of the award committee must be from six different colleges/schools, and any member must not be reappointed for two years after their term is finished. The Provost and the Executive Committee of Distinguished Professors will each select three members for the awards committee, all subject to approval by the Provost.
The Executive Committee of Distinguished Professors consists of nine Distinguished Professors. Each year, three are elected for a three year term.
The current Executive Committee members are:
- B. Don Russell, Electrical & Computer Engineering (Emeritus) -- (Current Chair)
- Catherine Eckel, Economics -- Current Vice-Chair (2024)
- John Gadysz, Chemistry (Emeritus)
- J.N. Reddy, Mechanical Engineering (2024)
- Joerg Steiner, Veterinary Small Animal Clinical Sciences (2024)
- Olga Kocharovskaya, Physics & Astronomy (2023)
- Richard Golsan, International Studies (2023)
- Bani Mallick, Statistics (2023)
- Paul Hardin, Biology (2023)
- Dorothy Shippen, Biochemistry & Biophysics (2023)
- Nick Suntzeff, Physics & Astronomy (2023)
Executive Committee Bylaws
Award winners will be named University Distinguished Professors but will also keep their current titles and ranks; i.e., Professor of ‘Academic Department.’
- The University Distinguished Professor honorific title is bestowed in perpetuity, as long as the faculty member remains in good standing.
- A bursary fund is provided to new University Distinguished Professors.
- One AM parking tag is provided as a supplement to an existing paid parking permit.